Int’l & Immigrants
College applications are a complicated and daunting task for most families, especially for international applicants who often have more considerations, testing and forms to complete than domestic students. And for new immigrants or green card students, some schools view your application using the lens of international students. We are experts in helping international, immigrant and ESL students. The following links might be useful for students with international backgrounds.
- TOEFL. For international students to test for English proficiency
- ILETS. Another widely accepted English proficiency test
- TOEFL Junior. An English proficiency test for students age 11 to 15
- SSAT. Private school admission test for students entering grades 3rd thru 12th
- ISEE. Another private school admission test but only available in the U.S.
- American Honors. A 2-year honors program for motivated students including international
- Channel C. Helpful video produced by Chinese students at the Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison
- American Culture Video. Helpful videos produced by Univ. of Southern California for intl students.
- Getting Along with Americans. Part of the Intl Student Handbook published by Univ. of Florida.
Helpful and Free ESL sites and apps:
- Dave’s ESL Cafe. Games, quizzes, pronunciation practice, and stories. An excellent ESL sites.
- ESLAmerica. Practice conversation, vocabulary, grammar, reading etc. All presented in videos.
- Randall’s ESL Cyber Listening Lab. Excellent for listening practice.
- Purdue Univ. Grammar Review. A great site to help use correct grammar in writing.
- Practice English Grammar. A free (fee for higher level) mobile app for both iOS and Android
- Learn English Grammar. Another free app (fee for higher level) for iOS and Android. Get the US edition
- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Dimensions of Chinese Education – Inside Higher Ed
- Information for Chinese International Students Studying in the USA – Peterson’s
- Chinese Student Demographics & How They Might Affect Your College Choices – Peterson’s
- How Chinese Students Struggle to Apply to US Colleges – Atlantic magazine
- Forged Transcripts and Fake Essays – Time Magazine
- Many Foreign Students Are Friendless in the U.S., Study Finds — Chronicle of Higher Ed